Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Snow Days, Old Friends and Silence

SNOW DAY-enjoyed sleeping in, watching the snow and some daytime TV, cleaning, cooking and paying bills along with lots of relaxing.  Never would I have expected a snow day 3 days before Matt's Tennis season starts, but, it was a welcome break.    

I had the pleasure last night of connecting with an old high school and college friend, Tina.  We had a great dinner at P.F. Changs and got a good chance to catch up.  It amazes me how, in a lot of ways, it seemed like just yesterday we were sharing a bathroom at college and yet, so much has happened in the last 11 years.  Tina, you should be proud of who you are, it's great to see you so calm and pulled together.  I look forward to many more dinners and chats soon!

The rollercoaster of life is a funny one.  As a child, I couldn't stand silence.  I always had the TV or music playing when I was working on homework or hanging out, I even took a shower radio with me to college, and always had conversation starters and topic readily available, I could-and did talk, A LOT.   Now, as I grow up, I am getting more and more comfortable with silence.  I often find myself muting the TV and turning down the stereo, even when I am driving.  I can still start a converstation when needed, but find, listening to others can be very fascinating.  Silence is no longer scary, it is now a refreshing break from the craziness. 

**Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.  ~Winston Churchill  **We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus

No comments:

Post a Comment