A little over a year ago, I started my blog; saying that I would drop Facebook and 'move on with life'. Simply using the Blog as a way to keep friends up to date with my life. The bottom line: I kept Facebook and my blog and now spend even more time on the computer. So...
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
In my opinion Valentines Day to commerical and overrated. For the past 2-3 years, I have dreaded this day more than any other day of the year in my room. From what I notice, students rarely notice who sent what Valentine, all they care about is the candy attached to the card. They rarely show appreciation outside of an all class "thank you" shout out. I finally came up with a plan to NOT celebrate Valentines in my classroom and......I Absolutely LOVED IT!!!
We enjoyed an AMAZING 3 layer cake from the local bakery; Sweet Story! She worked so hard carving out our cake in the shape of Oregon. She included the hazelnut, Oregon covered wagon and sea lions (all out of fondent). The students, parents and staff were VERY impressed and the cake was VERY delicious!
The class sang Happy Birthday to Oregon then we created a game using the regions of Oregon. We created two 'lanes' (think bowling) with a state of Oregon map with 5 regions. Each region was assigned a point value. The students had different start lines (x2, x3, x4, x5) that they could aim from. Then, they threw a homemade bean bag (sock with rice) at the regions. They would multiple the number they landed on by the line they threw from. They each had a punch card worth 25 points, when it was filled they could turn it in for a prize. I was amazed at how easy and fun the game ended up being. The students were all engaged and playing.
I heard only positive feedback from parents and students. This is a sure thing for next year too!
Happy Birthday Oregon! Happy Valentines Day!
I hope your February 14th was everything you were wanting and deserve.
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Today was one of those days when everything works and a lot gets done; those days feel so good!
Now time to tackle the week ahead:
- 3 loads of laundry
- 1 load of dishes
- Made chicken enchiladas for the next two nights for dinner
- Decided to go in on a half season ticket package for the Blazers next year--Rip City Baby!!
- Tried two new reciepes (peanut butter, oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal, pineapple, applesauce, chocolate chip muffins)--YUMMY!
- 6 mile bike ride (felt so good)
- Gave Spike a bath-So much fun....he started to purr as we were drying him off and warming him up! So precious.
|Drying off after a bath|
|Snuggling with momma and letting me rub and dry his underbelly|
|Purring like crazy for the first time! SO CUTE|
Now time to tackle the week ahead:
- Tomorrow I am being video tapped by Bridges (our math program) for a training video -- Flattering, yet nerve racking
- Tuesday-Mad Science Assembly, Oregon's Birthday Party and PJ day (my class is NOT celebrating Valentines This year, excited to see how that goes)
- Friday-Early Release, Classroom Mad Science visit
Saturday, February 11, 2012
We are having so much fun with our little guy! He visited my classroom and ran all over the place. I discovered he is super fast when allowed to run free. He even managed to get under my bookselves twice with 2 adults watching him. =) We have been giving him more free time in our house too. He has only managed to get under the couch once. Enjoy some updated pictures and video!
|Just hangin' out|
|The new way he eats; apparently he likes to become one with his food|