Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Birthday Oregon!

      In my opinion Valentines Day to commerical and overrated.  For the past 2-3 years, I have dreaded this day more than any other day of the year in my room.  From what I notice, students rarely notice who sent what Valentine, all they care about is the candy attached to the card.  They rarely show appreciation outside of an all class "thank you" shout out.  I finally came up with a plan to NOT celebrate Valentines in my classroom and......I Absolutely LOVED IT!!!

We enjoyed an AMAZING 3 layer cake from the local bakery; Sweet Story!  She worked so hard carving out our cake in the shape of Oregon.  She included the hazelnut, Oregon covered wagon and sea lions (all out of fondent).  The students, parents and staff were VERY impressed and the cake was VERY delicious!



 
      The class sang Happy Birthday to Oregon then we created a game using the regions of Oregon. We created two 'lanes' (think bowling) with a state of Oregon map with 5 regions. Each region was assigned a point value. The students had different start lines (x2, x3, x4, x5) that they could aim from. Then, they threw a homemade bean bag (sock with rice) at the regions. They would multiple the number they landed on by the line they threw from. They each had a punch card worth 25 points, when it was filled they could turn it in for a prize. I was amazed at how easy and fun the game ended up being. The students were all engaged and playing.


I heard only positive feedback from parents and students.  This is a sure thing for next year too!

Happy Birthday Oregon! Happy Valentines Day!
I hope your February 14th was everything you were wanting and deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment