Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 11th

What a day; emotional no matter who you are or where you stand on all the events of that day and what followed.  It's hard to put into words how I feel each year on this day.  A large part of me is still angry yet I also feel Patriotic and honored to live in such a great nation.

Each year I help the third grade students celebrate Patriot Day by watching this brainpop movie http://www.brainpop.com/socialstudies/ushistory/september11th/ and then reading the book September 12th: We knew everything would be all right.    Then, we discuss our thoughts and create our own American Flag.  This year the students did a great job using construction paper and glitter stars and stripes while listening to patriotic music.










I was really impressed at the direction my students took the discussion this year.  I asked the students what 'being United' means.  They told me, to come together.  Then we talked about how our nation rallied around each other during the weeks that followed 12 years ago.  I then asked them what our community does to be 'United'.  They said "Give and Gobble", "Mini Relay for Life", "Relay for Life" and our World Changers Club at Hopkins.  Such good souls at the age of 8!  





  We've come a long way in 12 years!  I am so thankful for our American Military Hero's, our firefighters, police officers and first responders1  I am and always will be Proud to Be American!








No comments:

Post a Comment