Pages

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Ralph

17 years ago a stanch and quiet and slightly intimidating man invited me in to his home for the weekend as his youngest sons girlfriend.

I spent that weekend slowly getting to know you through pictures and stories. Matt went down to take a shower and I was sitting upstairs.  You were in your chair watching a muted tv show and I was sitting on the couch listening to the coo coo clock tick. I knew I couldn't do that for more than a few minutes so I reached over and took a photo album of the shelf. I believe I asked you about a picture of a tree and then a pool made from a tarp in the bed of a truck. 

You came to life with stories.  I began looking forward to visiting and hearing more. 

Over the years, our relationship grew to include inside jokes and stories and moments others may not understand but I will treasure for the rest of my life!  I could try to explain them here for others, but I wouldn't do them justice...  I learned about you through your love for your family, your country, cooking, gardening, college basketball, politics, camping, hunting, Indiana, Crystal Gayle, folk music and the Opry. You were an amazing cook and I always looked forward to a meal with you.  Whether it was garden fresh zucchini stuffed with sharp cheddar chess and ham,  biscuits and gravy,  pulled pork, chicken, hamburgers or pizza!  Dinners with you were always good for the soul!  I will always treasure our camping trips; the fireside stories,  camp loop walks, games and food.

2 and a half years ago, you welcomed your final grandchild.  Watching you rock Hudson while humming and singing to him so Matt and I could eat a delicious meal you cooked was a welcomed moment in our week.  He loved completing puzzles with you, rocking in your chair, swinging with you on the porch and playing with Papa R's cars.  You created his love for hot wheels!  Huddy loves Papa R!

April 25th 2017, God welcomed you home.  You will be missed in person but will live on in spirit, stories, memories and pictures!




















God saw him getting weaker, 
And a cure was not to be
God put His arms around him, 
And whispered: "Come to Me."
With tearful eyes, we watched him fade
And slowly slip away.
Although we loved him dearly, 
We could not make him stay.
The golden heart stopped beating, 
His loving hands at rest. 
God broke our hearts to prove to us, 
He only takes the best.

(author unknown)

Ralph Henry Rubrecht: RIP 4-25-17
We will miss you!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending prayers and healing thoughts to you guys.

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely beautiful.. I am praying for all of you... I wish I knew him better.. I know my mom is heartbroken.

    Karla Adams

    ReplyDelete