Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Success

31 is an awkward age (although, as I type this, I think I could simply say, Life is awkward)... I have friends at so many different stages in their lives (some are dating, married, in college, pregnant, already have kids, buying a house, starting a career, changing careers, traveling, going on missions, fighting for our country and some are in the middle of many of these all at once).  As I find out about other's good news, I find myself mixed with emotions.  I want to be excited and happy for them, but I then immediatly compare that with my life. 

Galatians 6:4: “Each one should judge his own conduct.  If it's good, then he can be proud of what he himself has down without having to compare it with what someone else has done.”

My life is GREAT!  I work with fabulous people, I love my job, I laugh a lot, I have a great family and I need nothing (although, to be honest, my want list can get long at times).  =)

“Let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be; use our different gifts in accordance with the grace that God has given us; without comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't.” (Romans 12:6)

I stumbled upon this poem tonight and it hit me; if God can work through me to do even just a few of these things, then I know my life is a success! 

Success

by: Ralph Waldo Emerson

To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty,
To find the best in others,
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child,
A garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.


Prayer: Lord, forgive me for the times I've compared myself with others. Make me strong and secure in You, so that I'll focus only on what You've called me to be and do. Thank You for equipping me to live a life of victory and purpose!

1 comment:

  1. Alyson,
    Such a great reminder, your prayer. I am often at that same place - comparing, so easy to do, yet it breaks down what God is trying to build in His child! Thank you for your honest thoughts - focusing on what He has called us to do! :o)

    ReplyDelete